Saturday 21 March 2015

Lesson from Ice cream vendor

Last week, after dinner kids wanted ice cream . So I walked with my elder son to nearest ice cream vendor. While on the way to that ice cream seller, my son asked ,"This ice cream seller must be enjoying lots of ice creams every-day ".

"I don't think so " I replied.

Why ? He has so many flavours. He need not pay anything. I am sure he must be eating few ice creams every day - He said.

Let's find out " i said.

We reached that vendor, ordered our ice creams. He is quite familiar to us , so I asked ," What's your name ? "  

"Rajesh "

"How much worth of ice creams you sell every month ?"

"Ho jata hai sir. My commission is only 14 %"

"How much you make every month ?" (bad question but I asked)

"Roughly 5 to 6 thousand."

How much rent are you paying ?

"I am sharing with my friend. My family stays in Lucknow. Once summers are over, I generally go back to my native. My share of rent is 1200 /- "

After this , we started walking back.

Now I (thinking myself to be very smart) asked my son to do some mathematics.

After reducing 1200 from his income , may be sending another 1200  to his family , he is left with Rs 3600 for 30 days of survival, which means just Rs 120/- per day. 
Do you think he can afford to eat ice creams ?

"See Papa, it just costs 20 rupees. So he can afford to eat few...."

I gave up. 

Lesson for me - KID's economic principles are different.



#kids,  #lesson , #economics , #family







No comments:

Post a Comment